Saturday, May 8, 2010

High Tide in Tucson by Barbara Kingsolver

I had read The Poisonwood Bible by Kingsolver and knew that I'd want to read more by her. Poisonwood is a novel; High Tide is a collection of essays and is my favorite of the two books, perhaps because it's more personal. She writes across many topics, from writing to family to science, travel and history, all written with insight, passion and humor. My favorite story is about her "Rock Bottom" band she and fellow writers with music background threw together for a book promotional tour. It was hilarious and I could tell that experience made up for the tedious and demanding elements of touring--little sleep, constantly traveling, talking, signing books, missing meals (and I would add a personal anxiety of wondering where the nearest bathroom is). I deeply appreciated her concern for elderly writers whose publishers expect to maintain similar marathons. As a self-publisher, I'm my own boss. If I choose to hobble across a stage with my walker, I can. Or not. Granted, I'll probably never see Stronghold on a best-seller list either. So be it. I'm happy that someone in Burnham's Trading Post walks up to me and asks to buy a book.

The next book I want to read by Barbara Kingsolver is Small Wonder.

No comments: