Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Kipling on Twain


I can't think of a more delightful reading experience than of one great author interviewing another. It's like reading them both at the same time. Rudyard Kipling's tale of hunting down Mark Twain to meet and interview him is full of charm and humor, evidence of one writer's style affecting another's. For example, Kipling wrote: "Blessed is the man who finds no disillusion when he is brought face to face with a revered writer. That was a moment to be remembered; the landing of a twelve-pound salmon was nothing to it. I had hooked Mark Twain, and he was treating me as though under certain circumstances I might be an equal." Eventually, of course, Rudyard Kipling became as famous and well-loved as Mr. Clemens himself. (photo: me by "Kim's Gun" in Lahore, Pakistan. Kim by R. Kipling.)

I myself hooked a treasure when I discovered and subscribed to Library of America free weekly stories (http://storyoftheweek.loa.org/). What a pleasure and I recommend it to everyone who loves to read, but is short on time (or not).

1 comment:

Gina said...

Hi! I'm here! I see your playlist. Some templates have gadget options on the bottom. Switching templates is fairly simple, and all your stuff is saved.

I like your background.